If you have read my blog in the past you probably know from previous post that I really like the impact that black elements can have on your decor when planned out and used wisely. I’m a fan of black elements as floors, furniture, accent pieces and also walls. Primrose House by SHEEP + STONE is the perfect project to inspire and guide you on how to incorporate black into your decor in a subtle and classic way.
USE OF BLACK ELEMENTS IN INSPIRATION PROJECT
SHEEP + STONE is a Brooklyn-based design studio, and they worked on this 1920 renovated Los Angeles’ home.
The color palette used throughout the house is neutral, and it mixes to perfection warm and cool hues. The color palette consists mainly of grays, brown, blacks and creams and the result is a relaxing house throughout its 230m2.
Mixing materials and finishes is the perfect way to make your space endure the test of time because you won’t feel contrived in a single style. Pay special attention to the way wood finishes were mixed in the design, you will see the dark wood floor is perfectly combined with the rustic wood finish in the console in the sitting area.
Many metallic finishes are also mixed together in order to mix flawlessly old and new, you can see polished chrome, steel, copper, and brass elements being used together and none of them clash with the other.
The sitting area is right next to the dining room where retro design elements are mixed with more modern ones, and where many wood finishes are also mixed flawlessly.
Another key factor in the design is the way the outside greenery is brought inside through the large open windows, this key design element helps bring nature inside and helps balance out the the general ambiance of the space
Black elements with industrial inspiration were also incorporated into the design, as seen in the bedroom in the sconces that frame the artwork over the bed and in black architectural elements like the windows and doors.
The bedroom and dining room also open up to the outside, specifically the terrace. The cool finishes in the furniture selection, and paint finishes found in the terrace are balanced out by the rustic wood finish of the deck and by incorporating nature info the space, not only through potted plants but pay attention to how the garden comes right up to the deck.
The nursery in which we see many black elements is kept feeling open with the open windows that let in so much natural light that space doesn’t feel restricted. Another element in order to keep the spaces being inviting is the use of rugs that help balance the cool design elements.
7 KEY DESIGN TAKEAWAYS FOR USING BLACK ELEMENTS
There are several key design elements we can take by looking with detail to the way black elements where incorporated into this neutral space:
- Black is an eye-catching color, so make sure you use it in key elements that you want to stand out.
- Back elements can be paired with neutral and warm-toned hues in order to achieve the perfect balance in your color palette.
- Black can be harsh that’s why it’s important to combine it with soft textures like linens, velvet, and/or rugs to balance the overall feeling of a space.
- Black windows work particularly well in a space when the landscape outside the windows is properly done and thought out because the green natural elements from the outside contrast with the frame created by the black window.
- Black wood or dark toned wood can be mixed with more rustic wood finishes and tonality in order to avoid feeling the space style constricted.
- Mix elements with different materials to create a harmony and balance
- Incorporating design elements from different styles makes your space endure the test of time and by timeless because you won’t grow tired of the style easily.
If you want even more design tips feel free to grab my 35 Design Tips to help guide you in your design process and use it as a checklist to make small adjustments to your space.
I would love to hear your takeaways from going over how SHEEP + STONE incorporated black elements into the decor!
I also have this post all about black decor elements and accent pieces that you can incorporate into your decor, don’t miss it if you felt inspired by this post to incorporate some black accessories into your decor.