Modern decor and classical architecture are two completely different styles that go together perfectly. I’m a huge fan of mixing styles and a house with classical architectural elements paired with modern decor is my weakness.
D-raw is the London based architecture and interior design firm that was in charge of the meticulous restoration of the space so that then they were able to focus on the furniture and design elements that give this apartment its timeless feel.
The classical architectural elements add so much character to the space that by making everything monochromatic they all stand out and act as the perfect backdrop for the modern lines of the furniture pieces.
The fabrics chosen for the furniture are high in texture and have dark colors, this adds a high contrast element to the space and complements the textures that the moldings and plaster details add to the space.
The white walls paired with the white bed with white linens are THE DEFINITION of simple yet high impact design. The moldings and plaster work of the architectural elements of the space become the centerpiece of the space, especially when paired with the wooden herringbone floors.
Dark cabinets with clean modern lines contrast with the high details of the classic architectural elements, they balance out the traditional moldings, ornate plaster appliques, and ceiling medallions. The contrast between all of these elements makes each single element stand out.
The dark wood tone chosen for the cabinets also makes the wood grain of the stunning herringbone floor stand out and helps gives the floor the importance it has because it serves as the anchor for all the modern decor elements as well as the classical architectural details.
Every space in every wall in this apartment has a level of detail applied to it, you can see this in the hallways, pocket doors, living room, kitchen, etc. By making sure every space has the same treatment the whole apartment flows and feels put together.
The herringbone wood floors add movement, warmth and interest because of its physical and tonal changes. These subtle changes add contrast and perfectly balance out the white ornate walls.
ALL IMAGES VIA D-RAW
If you are feeling inspired by the interiors of this stunning apartment or if you are simply looking to incorporate modern decor in a room with tons of classical architectural details here are my top five design takeaways:
- Start with a neutral backdrop, the key for achieving great design in this apartment was the decision to keep all the walls and molding white. You don’t necessarily have to use white in your space, but a neutral modern color will play the same role.
- Even though the walls are highly ornate with the amount of moldings and appliqués by keeping everything in the same white it prevents the space from feeling overdone, or too visually heavy.
- An all-white space can feel cold, add some warmth to it by using textured fabrics in dark warm hues
- You can balance out the starkness of an all-white space by using warm materials, the wood finish of this space adds lots of warmth because of the movement and tone
- Keep it simple, the simplicity of the furniture chosen complements and balances out the moldings and architectural details in the space.
Want even more design tips? Don’t worry I have your back! Grab my 35 design tips, it’s filled with design tips and small details that have great impact in the design of your space.
Let me know your favorite design element of this space! My favorite is without a doubt the impact the moldings and appliqués add to the space.