Craving a small office area I can call my own is the reason I came up with this home office design board. I have a wall in my house in which this design could work in and I figured I would mock up some design boards – this is the first – and see what I decide to do in the end.
If you are thinking about making some room for a home office, I think this design option is perfect because it doesn’t take up that much room. The design elements are divided into two groups:
- The Essentials
- For my space these pieces are: a desk, an office chair, some shelving and a task lighting.
- The elements that give it personality
- For this design board I chose to make it all about things I enjoy having around me.
The elements that make up this home office design board are:
- White lacquered desk from West Elm
- The clean lines of the desk is the reason it works perfectly for my space. I’m planning on placing it on a wall that is a transition area that is part of my living room dining room so I wanted a desk that didn’t scream “WORK IS GETTING DONE HERE”. Another plus of the desk are the drawers, I know the way I work and all the papers, pens, and pencils I like to have around me so this is the perfect place to keep them out of site when needed.
- Blue velvet Jozy home office chair from World Market
- The blue velvet is what first caught my eye, remember how I mentioned were I’m planning of putting this home office so a typical office chair wouldn’t work for me, but I do need the swivel of the office chair and the caster wheels.
- Davis brushed silver wall shelves from Crate and Barrel
- Since this desk will be up against a wall I need to have pretty things to keep me inspired and motivated, this is the main reason I wanted this shelves since I can fill them up with art from my kids, my sister’s paintings, family pictures, candles, etc.
- Sylvester Adjustable table lamp from Crate and Barrel
- I think everybody needs some task lighting in their workspace, especially when you are working under regular residential lighting that isn’t designed for work purposes.
- Prisma picture frames from Crate and Barrel
- They are available in different sizes and finishes that add a lot of interest to the desk, and also what’s more motivating that pictures of your kids?
- Kikkerland potted pen stand from Amazon
- We all need some green in our lives so I decided to incorporate it in the form of a pen and pencil holder that doubles as a cute plant. I need this ASAP!
- Kikkerland magnetic hourglass from Amazon
- Love hourglasses, not only for their visual appeal but this one with the magnetic sand add an extra visual element to it.
- Carpe Diem canvas from Amazon
- We all need that extra push sometimes, that’s why I like the saying on this 12”x12” printed stretched canvas so much.
- Kate Aspen vintage blue glass tealight holders from Amazon
- This set is made of four tealight holders to put either on your shelves, keep in the desk near you or simply distribute around the space. I really like the feeling that having candles around me adds to my enjoyment of a space.
- Geometric wooden storage box from Happy Little Folks Shop on Etsy
- This wooden box is something I need in my workspace, I know how much things I tend to accumulate and this adds that handmade element that can become a conversation starter.
When working in any space you should take this two-part approach: you can buy the most common sofa or the bestselling coffee table it doesn’t matter: it’s the elements that you add to the space that give it personality and make it your own. These elements can be small accessories like books, candles, vases, picture frames, etc.; or bigger articles like a rug, a throw blanket, or a piece of art; the paint color of the room also adds a lot of personality to the way a piece stands out in a room.
If you are left feeling inspired by this post and want to start thinking about designing your workspace don’t forget to check out my WORKSPACE DESIGN CHECKLIST!
I will keep working on more design boards for my home office and I will post them, but in the meantime tell me if there’s a particular element that you like of the design. Also if you know someone who would find this design board helpful or inspiring don’t forget to share it.