There are a few things that really stand out to me and appeal to me more than a perfect landscaped exterior. I see in so many projects when the landscaping is just an afterthought, this isn’t the case in Casa Barrancas. I have featured work by Ezequiel Farca before, but this house is the perfect example of how modern interior design can incorporate tropical elements.
The contrast and balance that is created throughout the design by combining modern aesthetics and the tropical exteriors is just perfection. The modern interiors bring that clean, purposeful, and neutral vibe that is so appealing meanwhile the tropical elements in the landscape design add so much texture, playfulness, and movement to a space that could otherwise feel rigid.
Keep on reading for tons of inspiration from this project, and also make sure to check out the design takeaways from this project that you can incorporate in your space.
MODERN ARCHITECTURE WITH TROPICAL ELEMENTS
Casa Barrancas is a complete remodel of a 1970’s property in Mexico, all the redesign was in charge of Ezequiel Farca and Cristina Grappin. The studio was in charge of architecture, interior design and furniture design.
The house was done in a modern style but special attention was paid to the way natural earthy materials were incorporated in order to reinforce the way the way the house integrates with its surroundings and therefore creates the feeling of unlimited space.
Landscape design that adds tropical plants that are found locally and that pays special attention to green roofs and vertical gardens creates the perfect element to balance out the modern form of the architecture. Water saving resources, automatic systems, and green roofs were included in the design.
MODERN LIVING SPACES
The interior design of the house follows a modern line, but all the wood and natural elements, combined with the stunning views of the patios through windows that open up completely to the outside make it a cozy and inviting modern space, the wide windows that completely open up is the perfect way to make the space feel unlimited.
TROPICAL ELEMENTS IN TERRACE
The terrace features a pool that is surrounded completely by tropical landscaping. The landscape design is extremely important to the space because it takes away from the fact that the terrace is surrounded by tall walls.
Through the use of green walls, and many textures and different heights of vegetation you get completely distracted of the actual space surroundings and actually feel on the outside.
MODERN BEDROOM INTERIORS
The bedrooms were done with modern furniture and keeping a minimalistic layout, this design details works perfectly with the tropical, highly textured tropical elements to which the rooms are completely exposed to.
BATHROOM DESIGN DETAILS
The bathroom is one of my favorite spaces in this house, so many details are thought out that when seeing the space for the first time might go unnoticed.
The clean design of the closets brings in the warmth that few materials can add like knotted wood, and by doing the play with the horizontal stripe through the doors you make your eyes focus for a moment on the texture element of the doors.
The gray marble slabs in the wall behind the tub, serve as the perfect back drop for the white standalone tub. The white tub emphasizes the veins in the marble, and the big format slabs help the design feel more clean and modern.
The wood screen that separates the bathroom from the terrace adds an organic element to the bathroom thanks to the organic shape of the design, and also the pay on light and shadows that this element creates in the room all throughout the day.
The kitchen is one of the spaces with the most modern design, the gray lacquered cabinets without pulls, the white marble kitchen table that serves as an island, and the marble slabs that cover every inch of wall available make for the perfect clean kitchen design so many people go after.
The clean design elements of the kitchen are balanced with the stunning view of the tropical surroundings that the all glass window adds to the space. Keeping the window frameless adds to the contrast that adds so much to the space.
All images via Ezequiel Farca’s website, make sure to click here for lots of more pictures of this stunning house.
The main point of my blog is to give you guys not only inspiration, resources, and design ideas I aim to give you key design takeaways with each post that can help you achieve a certain look, or help you with a particular design dilemma.
Here are my 5 key design takeaways from Casa Barrancas on how modern interior design can incorporate tropical elements:
- Create balance
- Create a balance between clean lines and forms and textures, this is what will help your space feel balanced and will help the modern and tropical elements work well together.
- Look for contrast
- Look for contrast between clean forms and textures, just keep in mind how you are using them combined to make sure that the elements are able to work together without being too much. The key in this space for me is that the playfulness of the tropical elements is all limited to the landscaping, and even though they feel like part of the space because of the open
- Keep it simple
- There is no need to overdo it with any of the different styles when trying to bring them together. Simple and subtle touches of each element is what will achieve the balance and cohesiveness that we are looking for.
- Pay attention to materials
- The materials and finishes chosen for the interiors are a direct play on the tropical elements from the outside, only that by really thinking out and planning where to use each material is the how they managed to create that modern interior that feels welcoming.
- Open up the space
- Open up your spaces to the outside and bring the outside in. You don’t have to go out now and start replacing all the windows in your house, but you can surely start opening up blinds and rethinking of small changes you can make to your landscape in the areas that viewed from the inside in order to incorporate this key element into your space.
The color scheme plays a huge part in this house, the colors chosen don’t compete with each other and work in perfect harmony. When putting together the perfect color scheme that lets all the elements of a space work together there are 7 key factor that need to be taken into consideration.
I’ve put together the following Paint Color Checklist that you can grab just by clicking the button below, that details the 7 factors you need to take into consideration so that you too can achieve the perfect color palette.
Now let’s get a conversation started in the comments and let me know what is your favorite element of this house! I would love to hear your thoughts.